Writing a cover letter
The cover letter gives you the opportunity to present an overview of your manuscript to the editor.
Your cover letter should include
- The objective and approach of your research
- Any novel contributions reported
- Why your manuscript should be published in this journal
- Any special considerations about your submission
- Related papers by you and/or your fellow authors (published or under consideration)
- Previous reviews of your submission
- Previous submissions of your manuscript to that journal
- Previous communication you’ve had with journal staff
You’re encouraged to submit previous communications as they can help expedite the review process. If you have any of the following, you can submit them as ‘Supplementary file for editors only’:
- Copies of related papers
- Previous editors’ comments and your responses
- Previous reviewers’ comments and your responses
If you or any of your co-authors are NIH employees, you will have to submit a completed and signed NIH Publishing Agreement and Manuscript Cover Sheet according to NIH’s Employee Procedures.