When submitting your article you may be asked to suggest 2-3 potential peer reviewers. The editors will not necessarily invite your suggested reviewers but these suggestions can help speed up the peer review process.
Top tips for suggesting reviewers:
- Suggest people in your field whose view of your paper you would respect
- You do not need to know your suggestions personally and reviewers will not know you suggested them
- Make sure that your suggestions are not current or recent colleagues of you or your co-authors
- Suggest researchers who know the subject well and are willing to invest the time (‘big names’ will often decline)
- Submit your suggestions through ScholarOne rather then contacting them yourself